Saturday 16 July 2016

SAC Song Writing Challenge #2


WRITE A STORY IN A SONG

This song I recorded while camping using only the build-in microphone of my lap top.  I apologize if there are background noises.

I have only ever written one story song before so I found this to be a challenge I enjoyed.  I think most of our songwriting is egocentric, viewing life through our own eyes, so to write a story song is to see life through someone else’s eyes.

First I came up with the story.  They are fictional characters based on various couples I have known during my life time.  After I had the main themes for the first verse, second verse and bridge in my mind, I set to work getting the first verse done.   Then I mapped out the syllables and circled the syllables which rhymed so that I could repeat the process in verse 2.  I had already written the chorus before I even started verse 1.

Then I made chord charts for each bar of music and began writing the lyrics below and the chords above the proper beats.

Lastly I started recording.  I had to do it a few times as there were some really loud noises in this camp ground.

Hope you enjoy.

Do you Miss Me?
Copyright 2016 Words and Music by Patricia Loranger

They met on the fourth of July,
He with his muscles and her big blue eyes,
Love at first sight, talked into the night,
Shared dreams and values and hopes for their lives.
He said, “Maybe we shouldn’t get involved,
I leave in the morning with my platoon squad”.
She said, “I feel this thing has already evolved,
I’ve found a friend in you.”
He said, “Write me”.  She said, “Nightly.”
And every letter they ended like this,

Chorus:
“Do you miss me?
Do you miss me?
Do you miss me, like I miss you?”

His tour complete he came home,
Snatched up that woman and made her his own.
They both got jobs, a cat and two dogs,
A mortgage, three kids and two cars in garage.
There was house work and home work and meals,
Pressures at work, a real balance wheel.
Building their kingdom, building their kids,
Something got left behind,
She said, “It’s gone.”  He said, “What’s wrong?”
“I don’t feel, we’re friends anymore,”

Chorus:

Bridge:
He put down his paper, looked into her eyes,
Said I’ve been feeling this way for a while,
Tell me your pet peeves and I’ll tell you mine,
Let’s rebuild our friendship, while there’s still time.


Chorus:

https://soundcloud.com/user-329357000/do-you-miss-me-sac-challenge-2

No comments:

Post a Comment